Restoring Maternity Services at North Central Bronx Hospital
NYLPI is working with coalition partners to support the recent re-opening of the labor and delivery (L&D) service at North Central Bronx Hospital (NCB). In August 2013, the Health and Hospitals Corporation of NYC (HHC) suspended this valued and critical community health service. NCB’s midwifery-led program has provided award-winning and women-centered care to an underserved community for nearly three decades. NYLPI partnered with the Commission on the Public’s Health System, Northwest Bronx Community & Clergy Coalition, Doctors Council SEIU, New York State Nurses Association, Bronx Community Board 7, and Councilmember Ritchie Torres among others to advocate for the restoration of vital maternity services at NCB. In October 2014, the NCB L&D service re-opened, as a result of the coalition’s successful year-long advocacy campaign. NYLPI’s ongoing work incudes monitoring and meeting regularly with the hospital and HHC. Finally, NYLPI is partnering with community organizations to continue to challenge unequal access to healthcare in this community.
- August 2013, HHC suspends Labor & Delivery service at North Central Bronx HospitalDaily News and Norwood News cover community reaction to suspension of L&D service at NCB.
- NYLPI objects to closure of maternity ward at NCB.
- October 2013, Grassroots opposition to suspension grows
- Neighborhood residents rally in front of hospital.
- Northwest Bronx Community & Clergy Coalition lends support to organizing neighborhood moms.
- December 2013, HHC meets with community coalition to discuss future of NCB L&D service
- Bronx Times article on community meeting with HHC at Mosholu-Montefiore Community Center.
- March 2014, HHC commits to reopening L&D services at NCB
- Norwood News article and Bronx Times article on HHC public forum held at NCB to discuss reopening of L&D service.
- June 2014, HHC on track to reopen L&D service at NCB
- Bronx Times article on second HHC public forum held at NCB to discuss reopening of L&D service.
- July 2014, Councilmember Ritchie Torres announces $600,000 in City Council Funding for Reopening of L&D unit at North Central Bronx Hospital
- October 2014, North Central Bronx Hospital L&D ready to reopen