Senior Staff Attorney Position – Environmental Justice
New York Lawyers for the Public Interest (NYLPI) is seeking applications for a Senior Staff Attorney position in the Environmental Justice program. The Senior Staff Attorney will be dedicated to NYLPI’s mission of advancing civil rights and social justice.
The Environmental Justice (EJ) program works in partnership with community organizations, coalitions and other stakeholders to build multi-strategy campaigns that address the systemic polluting of low-income communities of color and advance community health and sustainability. Exemplary current campaigns include reforming waste management in New York City to alleviate local pollution, reduce New York City’s carbon footprint, and create quality local jobs; addressing indoor environmental hazards in the City’s public schools; and addressing toxic working conditions in New York City nail salons.
The Senior Staff Attorney will engage in legal, policy, and administrative advocacy, as well as community organizing and outreach, coalition-building, and media work. The Senior Staff Attorney will also take substantial responsibility, in collaboration with the Program Director, for identifying, managing and advancing new campaign and litigation opportunities.
For nearly 40 years, NYLPI has been a leading civil rights advocate for New Yorkers marginalized by race, poverty, disability, and immigration status. We strive to create equal access to health care, achieve equality of opportunity and self-determination for people with disabilities, ensure immigrant opportunity, strengthen local non-profits, and secure environmental justice for low-income communities of color. NYLPI pioneered the practice of community lawyering in the five boroughs of New York City. Our interdisciplinary teams of advocates use every tool available – community organizing, impact litigation and individual representation, policy advocacy, media, pro bono partnerships, and public education – to solve seemingly intractable problems, develop leaders, and build collective power to achieve justice and equality.
- Must be an attorney in good standing and either be licensed to practice law in the State of New York or be eligible for admission to the New York bar at the time of hiring.
- A minimum of seven years of relevant experience in litigation, policy and/or administrative advocacy. Exceptional candidates with less experience will be considered.
- Demonstrated commitment to community lawyering and experience in racial justice, environmental and/or equitable development work.
- Excellent writing, analytic, interpersonal, and public speaking skills.
- Ability to relate to and communicate effectively with a diverse group of clients, community partners, and staff, as well as nonprofit, government, judicial, and business communities.
- Experience working in coalitions of community-based and advocacy organizations.
- Excellent strategic judgment and the drive to originate and effectuate challenging campaigns.
- Policy advocacy experience strongly desired.
- Fluency in a second language preferred.
NYLPI offers a competitive salary and comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including health insurance, short and long term disability and life insurance, an outstanding retirement savings plan and fifteen (15) days of vacation during the first year of employment.
NYLPI is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color and individuals with disabilities. We value the dynamism and perspective that staff diversity brings to the work and culture of the office. We seek to maintain a staff that is diverse along many axes, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, and national origin; disability; socioeconomic background; and sexual orientation and gender identity. NYLPI recognizes the ongoing need to foster and support diversity at all levels of the organization.
Please send cover letter, resume, brief writing sample (3-5 pages) and three references by February 22, 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words: Attention: Senior Staff Attorney Position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please mention in your cover letter where you saw this advertisement. Visit us to learn more at www.nylpi.org.